Thursday, May 10, 2012

Albino Sting Ray!!!

May 10, 2012:  Swam Brooks to Main Beach buoy today.  Switched it up with some Streakers for the shower at Brooks.  Although the entry was full of rocks and Howard got a pretty bad gash on his toe from one of the rocks.  He swam the entire lap trailing blood behind him...glad he didn't attract any specific wildlife this morning. 

Water was perfectly warm...full of kelp, low tide, 2-3 feet waves (if that), I had a challenge about .25 mile before the buoy and a .25 mile after the buoy after the turn.  The water seemed so turned up and choppy in that area, but the rest of the swim was nice and calm. 

Swimming back in I ran into a large group of kelp...right when I hit the kelp I looked down to see a beautiful albino sting ray.  It was about 18" diameter, yellow and white in color and I think even the eyes were a red tone (although it swam under me too fast to really know for sure), with the tail length and body it was probably about 3 feet long.  It definitely startled me because it was only about 3-4 feet deep from me and it seemed to pop up from no where.  Just like the sting rays I saw a few weeks back at Shaw's though it was so beautiful and peace to watch swim through the water. 

I can't say I am afraid of being in the water because once in I don't worry about anything.  However, as you are swimming and something swims up "out of no where" it is startling.  Anything in the ocean is so graceful with its movements...it comes out of no where. 

Today I loved driving to the gym after the swim not needing my heater on in my car!  Yay for warmer water.

No comments:

Post a Comment